Saturday, July 14, 2012

Response to Anthony Hunt's Post


Friday, July 13, 2012

WK2 Reading - The Art of Possibility











It is amazing to find out that the perceptions of human beings are selective in order to survive within different settings. Regardless of or financial status, we have adapted to view only the necessities to overcome struggles in life. Now I wonder what I am missing because of my selective vision. During the chapter “Its All Invented”, Zander brought me to a brief point of enlightenment when he specified that if we factor out our own interpretations of reality then maybe we will be able to focus on actual truths. I never looked at my perception of the world as a negative aspect that’s holding me back from discovering the actual. Deep!

It is now become a clear understanding that, as a race, we live in a typical realm of assumptions without focusing “outside of the dots”.  Our competitive nature as human beings construct a mentality that pushes us to reach for top and survive the struggles of life regardless of how we make it. Living in a world of measurements (mine is more expensive, or status) pushes the competitive desire to have more in order to survive and get ahead in the world. I fall victim to this life of measurements and having the ultimate competitive nature to win. I sometimes view myself within the category of scarcity- thinking because of my strong desire to become successful. The only time I actually realize that I am opening to the universe of possibilities is when I study Astronomy.  Infinite space in the universe allows me to view into the heavens, far beyond the realm of whats measurable.

Giving an A has to be the most relatable read within this book. During my fourth year I awarded each student with an A at the beginning of the semester. The response was instantly observed from students facial expressions. Almost as if a burden was removed from their lives. I did have an understanding that allowing everyone to begin with an A would motivate them to strive to keep it, but after reading I have a better understanding of why it should be done. A lot of excellent points were made as well with student performances. It never dawned on me that students become so competitive with their performances that they don’t take the necessary risks to improve. I think this chapter would be an excellent read and discussion lesson for my students during this up coming semester.

Contribution has always played a key role in my music program. I’ve always depended on students to contribute at the top of their musical abilities. I never thought about developing a game from it. I think this may be a great way to witness through their eyes how they would contribute to their peers on a weekly basis. How they would use their talents to improve those within their sections. This may take the competitive/selfish edge away and build more of a collaborative environment. I think this is a great idea. 

This book has become too good to put down. I will continue reading..............

My Response...
Anthony - I appreciate your addressing the issue of competition. The terms measurement and competition should be and probably are used synonymously in our daily lives. The whole nature of earning the "A" is based on competition - either with yourself, with your classmates, or in the work place. Because I am an incredibly uncompetitive person, the angst of sports, politics, and even grades can be lost on me. I do, however, understand the competative nature of my students, and often wish all of my students would be more competative, at least to the point of completing their work. I agree with Kat, as well, that the notion of students working collaboratively may decrease the stress of competition, and have seen it work to students' benefit in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment